Personalized ranking in Primo Central is particularly helpful for ambiguous searches, where search results come from a variety of disciplines or include a large set of articles. It does not replace topic facets or act as a filter. It simply adjusts the ranking algorithm to the general discipline of the user.
Primo Central's ranking accepts user information (such as the user's disciplines of interest and newer material preference) in order to help rank the results for queries from your local Primo server. If this functionality is enabled in your local Primo Back Office, users can apply these preferences to searches that include Primo Central.
The Personalize your results area displays on the Brief Results page when the user’s search contains at least one result. It allows users to see a brief list of the preferences that will be applied to each search. For information on setting preferences, see Setting Personalized Ranking Preferences.
Personalize Your Results Area in Results
Guests and users who have not signed in must set their preferences each session.
An ellipsis below the list of preferences indicates that the user has selected more preferences than are visible:
Additional Personalization Preferences
When searches are performed with any personalize ranking preference selected, the Personalized button will appear above the search results. You can click this button to remove the personalized ranking for individual searches:
Personalized Ranking Button
Users can see which options have been selected by hovering the cursor over the button:
Viewing Selected Personalized Ranking Options
Although the user will see the Personalized filter for all searches when any personalized ranking options are selected, it applies only to Primo Central results and will not affect results found in Primo local, remote searches (MetaLib), EBSCO, and WorldCat.
Setting Personalized Ranking Preferences
The Personalize Your Results dialog box allows users to set their preferences, which are retained between sessions for signed-in users.
Personalize Your Results Dialog Box
The list of disciplines are defined by Primo Central, but they can be translated locally using a code table in the Back Office. For more information, see Configuring Personalized Ranking in the Back Office.
To configure personalized settings in the Front End:
- Click Edit in the Personalize your results area to open the Personalize your results dialog box.Personalize Your Results Dialog Box
- In the Personalize your results dialog, select up to five disciplines in the Preferred discipline field.Selecting Disciplines
- Select the Prefer new material option if you want to rank newer material higher in your results.Newer Material Option
- Click OK.For guests and unsigned users, these settings are retained for the session only.
Configuring Personalized Ranking in the Back Office
This section describes the Back Office configurations used to display personalized ranking results in the Front End.
Enabling Personalized Ranking
The Enable the "Personalize Your Results" service field on the General Attributes page in the Views wizard (see Views Wizard - General Attributes Page) allows you to display the Personalize Your Results area on the Brief Results page in the Front End.
Views Wizard - General Attributes Page
Customizing the Display of Personalized Ranking
The following tables allow you to configure how personalized ranking displays in the Front End:
- Personalize Your Results Disciplines code table – This table allows you to translate the disciplines and modify display names and categories.
- Personalize Your Results Labels code table – Contains all labels used by the Personalize Your Results area on the Brief Results page and the Personalize Your Results dialog box.
- Personalize Your Results Disciplines Fields mapping table – Contains the list of valid disciplines per view, which are defined by Primo Central. If you do not want to display specific disciplines in the Personalize your results dialog box, you are permitted to delete those rows from the table.
- Error messages code table – The following code displays a message when the maximum number of disciplines has been selected:validation.pyr.maxDisciplines – You have reached the maximum number of disciplines. Please select up to five.
The following actions are available in the Actions Subject Area to support personalized results profiles in Primo Analytics.
- Update Personalized Results Profile – End users who update their personalized results profile.
- Remove Personalized Results Profile – End users who have removed their personalized results profile.
The above reports begin tracking after the update to the Primo July 2015 release.
Using Personalized Results in Primo APIs
It is possible to include the degree and disciplines in search requests in order to activate personalized ranking in Primo API searches:
- Web Services – The disciplines can be added to searchRequest as follows:<requestparams><requestparam key="pyrCategories"> medicine;business </requestparam>
- X-Services – The disciplines can be added to Brief Search with the following parameters: pyrCategories.For example:http://<host>:<port>/PrimoWebServices/xservice/search/brief?institu-tion=PYRTEST_INST1&onCampus=false&query=any,contains,war&indx=1&bulkSize=10&dym=true&highlight=true&lang=eng&pyrCategories=chemistry;business&loc=adaptor,primo_central_multiple_fe</port></host>The valid disciplines are defined in the Personalize Your Result Disciplines code tables under the Front End subsystem.