You can import course information from your course management system. Alma supports this using the Course Loader integration profile that runs on the schedule you configure. You can also manually run the profile after it is configured, and you can edit or delete the profile.
The course information must be in a tab-separated value file in a dedicated directory on an FTP server accessible by Alma, saved either as a .txt or .csv file.
- The FTP directory must not be used for any other purposes.
- Each file must have a valid date stamp. The profile loads only a file with a date stamp later than the last time that the profile ran.
The file must contain a list of courses, one on each line, with the following columns, in order. Each line indicates a course that is new, changed, deleted, or rolled over (see the Operation column).
- A header row, if any, is ignored.
- Key fields are Code and Section ID. These fields are mandatory and identify the course. A valid value in the Processing Department field is also mandatory. All other fields are optional.
- Only the first line with a specific code and section ID is processed. Any subsequent lines with the same code and section raise an error and are ignored.
- Start Date and End Date must be strings in the format specified in the integration profile. Number of Participants, Weekly Hours, and Year are integer fields. All other fields are strings.
- Old Course Code and Old Course Section are only required if the Operation field has the value ROLLOVER; see below.
- You can edit a course in a subsequent file by including a line with the same Code and Section ID.
- By default, only the Number of Participants and Instructor fields are changed; changes in other fields are ignored. You can select various checkboxes to change this behavior (see below).
- Changing the number of participants is informational only; it does not change the status of any citations attached to reading lists associated with the course.
- Changing the instructors changes who can associate a reading list with the course. It does not change any reading lists already associated with the course.
- When editing a course and a field is marked for overwrite (see overwrite options in step 8, below), or when rolling over a course, then entering a plus sign (+) in the field instructs the job to keep the old value in this field (as if overwrite was not selected). Any other value (including an empty value) is used in place of the old value.
New Field Value When Editing Course The field in the input file is ... left empty a plus sign (+) any other value Overwrite selected Empty (old value is removed) Old value New value Overwrite not selected Old value Old value Old value
|Course Code||Mandatory. Up to 50 char. If using the LTI integration profile, this field must match the course identifier imported using the LTI integration profile.|
|Course Title||Up to 255 char|
|Section Id||Course section ID||Mandatory. Up to 50 char.|
|Academic Department||The academic department code. Use a code (not label or name) from the Academic Department table; any other value is ignored. See Configuring Academic Departments.|
|Processing Department||The processing department code. Use a code (not label or name) from the Processing Department table; any other value is ignored. See Configuring Processing Departments.|
|Term1||A term code from the Terms table. See Configuring Course Terms.|
|Start Date||Start date of the course||String in the format specified in the integration profile.|
|End Date||End date of the course||String in the format specified in the integration profile.|
|Number of Participants||Integer up to 10 char.|
|Weekly Hours||Integer up to 10 char.|
|Year||Course year||Integer up to 19 char.|
|Searchable ID 1||Course ID||Up to 50 char. When editing or rolling over a course, if a + is entered here, then any IDs added in the Searchable ID columns are merged with any existing IDs in the course.|
|Searchable ID 2|
|ALL_SEARCHABLE_IDS||The list of all of the searchable IDs. You can use this field instead of the above 2 fields.||A list of searchable IDs, separated by commas (,). There is no character limit for this field. Use this field to enter multiple search IDs in one column. When editing or rolling over a course, if a + is entered anywhere in here, then any IDs added in the Searchable ID columns are merged with any existing IDs in the course.|
|Instructor 1||The name of one of the instructors||An Alma user's primary identifier. Any value that does not match an existing user in Alma is ignored. If the user does not already have the Instructor role, you can configure that Alma adds the role. You can also configure whether a newly added instructor is automatically added as an owner to any existing reading lists for the course. See Configuring Reading List Ownership. When editing or rolling over a course, if a + is entered here, then any instructors added in any instructor columns are merged with any existing instructors in the course.|
|ALL_INSTRUCTORS||The list of all of the instructors. You can use this field instead of the above 10 fields.||A list of instructors separated by commas (,). There is no character limit for this field. When editing or rolling over a course, if a + is entered anywhere in here, then any instructors added in any instructor columns are merged with any existing instructors in the course.|
Empty, DELETE, or ROLLOVER.
If left empty, the course is added if no such course with the same code and section already exists in Alma; otherwise the course is edited. See the note, above.
If set to DELETE, the associated course (identified by the first and third columns (Code and Section ID)) is deleted from Alma. If set to ROLLOVER, see the next two fields.
|Old Course Code||The information from the old course is copied to the new course.||When Operation is set to ROLLOVER, enter the old course code here and the old course section in the next field. These fields are not required if Operation is not ROLLOVER.|
|Old Course Section||The information from the old course is copied to the new course.||When Operation is set to ROLLOVER, enter the old course section in this field and the old course code in the previous field. These fields are not required if Operation is not ROLLOVER.|
See an example file here.
To configure a course loading integration profile:
- Create an S/FTP connection for the integration profile. For more information, see Configuring S/FTP Connections.
This profile requires a unique, dedicated directory on the FTP server.
- On the Integration Profile List page (Administration > General Configuration > Configuration Menu > External Systems > Integration Profiles), click Add Integration Profile. The External System page appears.
- In the Integration type field, select Course Loader from the drop down list. The page refreshes with different fields.
- Enter a Code and Name for the profile.
- Select the S/FTP connection for the profile. You can also enter an optional Description. Note: the Default field is reserved for future use.
- The System field is mandatory and for Ex Libris' information purposes only.
- Click Next. The second page of the wizard appears.
- Configure the following fields:
- Active - Whether the courses are active or inactive.
- Input File Path - If the course file information is located in a subdirectory at the FTP connection, enter the subdirectory. Otherwise, enter /.
- Delete associated reading lists when deleting a course - Whether reading lists (and associated sections and citations) are deleted from Alma when their associated course is deleted. When not selected, the reading list remains in Alma without a course association.
If any courses are deleted, the profile’s job report indicates the number of deleted courses.
When deleting associated reading lists, delete copyright records - Whether to also delete the copyright information about a deleted reading list if you enabled the previous setting (Delete Associated Reading List when Deleting a Course); this information is normally preserved for record keeping.
- Add instructor role to users - Whether to automatically add the Instructor role to all users listed in columns as instructors.
- Date format - The expected date format for date fields. Permitted values:
- Overwrite options - Whether new values overwrite existing values for: instructors, number of participants, course title, academic department, processing department, term, start date, end date, weekly hours, and year.
- Rollover options - When performing a rollover, select whether:
A lists's copyright clearance is reset on rollover.
- On rollover set instructors as owners - Whether old instructors are now owners of the new list
- On rollover delete existing reading lists - Whether the old lists are removed
- On rollover copy citation tags - Whether tags of citations are copied with the citations
- On rollover citation statuses - Whether to copy the citation statuses, recalculate them (when recalculated, some citations will be set to Being Prepared, but some may automatically be set to Complete), or set all citations to Being Prepared.
- On rollover reading list statuses - The status of the new reading lists: Being Prepared, Ready for Processing, or Complete.
- On rollover reading list publication statuses - Whether to copy the reading lists' publication statuses or set the new ones to Draft.
- On rollover copy copyright approvals - Whether to copy any existing copyright records (Copy), not copy existing records and leave the new citations without records (None), or submit all new citations for copyright approval (Recalculate).
The copyright approval date range is updated to the course's date range.
- On rollover copy public note - Whether to copy citations' public notes
- On rollover copy private note - Whether to copy the citation's fulfillment notes
- On rollover copy student discussion (Leganto only) - Whether to copy student discussions. The names of the users are removed from each comment.
- On rollover copy reading list owners - Whether to copy the reading list's owners
- On rollover copy reading list collaborators - Whether to copy the reading list's collaborators
- On rollover:
- Keep course instructors - Keep the existing course instructors, and ignore the instructors in the uploaded file.
- Overwrite course instructors - Remove the old instructors and add the instructors from the file.
- Select when you want the profile to run:
- Not scheduled
- Every 6 hours, starting at 05:00
- Every Saturday at 23:00
- Every day at 23:00
- On the 01 of every month at 23:00
- Click Save to save the profile.
You can see the job on the list of scheduled jobs. See Viewing Scheduled Jobs.
To manually run a course loading profile:
- On the Integration Profile List page (Administration > General Configuration > Configuration Menu > External Systems > Integration Profiles), select Actions > Edit in the row containing the course loader integration profile. The profile appears with the General Information tab pre-selected.
The Contact Info tab is reserved for future use.
- Select the Actions tab. The Actions tab appears.
- Click Run to run the profile. The job number appears on the page.https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/@api/deki/files/40769/course_loader_integration_profile_sample.txt?draft=true
You can monitor the job on the Monitor Jobs page. See Viewing Running Jobs and Viewing Completed Jobs.
To edit a course loading profile:
- On the Integration Profile List page (Administration > General Configuration > Configuration Menu > External Systems > Integration Profiles), select Actions > Edit in the row containing the course loader integration profile.
- Enter any changes (see To manually run a course loading profile, above) and click Save. The profile is modified.
To delete a course loading profile:
On the Integration Profile List page (Administration > General Configuration > Configuration Menu > External Systems > Integration Profiles), select Actions > Delete in the row containing the course loader integration profile, and then click Confirm in the confirmation dialog box. The profile is deleted.