To configure accession numbers, you must have one of the following roles:
- Catalog Administrator
- General System Administrator
You can have Alma automatically generate accession numbers in holdings records to identify a resource and configure how these numbers are generated. For example, you can use a prefix that includes the year the resource is acquired, and the resource number (if duplicate resources have been acquired), or you can identify by location.
The accession number begins by default at 1 and is incremented by 1 each time an accession number is generated. It is possible to set an initial value different than 1. It is also possible to skip some numbers and set a new next sequence value, which must be higher than the last one in use. (For more information, see Editing an Accession Number.)
After you configure the accession number, the number is generated in the MD Editor for a holdings record by selecting Tools > MARC 21 Holdings > Generate Accession Number.
Generate Accession Number
The Accession Number configuration can also be used to define a number sequence for generating alternative and temporary item-level call numbers when editing items on the Physical Item Editor page.
Generating Alternative and/or Temporary Item-Level Call Numbers
See Updating Item-Level Information for more information.
Using accession numbers requires that you define a sequence configuration to identify the manner in which the accession numbers are to be generated. The sequencing configuration can be defined at the institution-level, library-level, and library+location-level.
In order to implement institution-level sequencing configurations for holdings records, you need to set the holdings_accession_number_generation_extended customer parameter to true. See Configuring Other Settings (Resource Management) for more information. When you specify true for this parameter, it is no longer mandatory to complete the library or library+location fields. Leaving these fields blank, indicates that you are creating an institution-level sequence.
Also, you can implement institution-level sequencing configurations for item records when the item_call_numbers_generate_enable customer parameter is set to true. See Configuring Other Settings (Resource Management) for more information.
To add a new sequence configuration:
- On the Resource Management configuration page (Resource Management > Resource Configuration > Configuration Menu), click Accession Number from the General section. The Accession Configuration page appears.
- In the Create a New Sequence section, complete the parameters to create a new sequence using the table below for information about your configuration options.
Create a New Sequence Parameter Description Sequence Name Enter a sequence name to distinguish each sequence configuration from other sequences. LibraryBrowse to select a library to make this a library-level sequence. This means that the sequence you configure is only available to the library that you have selected. This parameter is optional when either of the following customer parameters are set to true:
When you do not select a library for your sequence configuration, the sequence is available at the institution level.
LocationIf you have selected a library for your sequence configuration, you can also select a library location to make your sequence configuration available only to a certain location within the library. This parameter is optional when either of the following customer parameters are set to true:
When you specify a location, you must also specify a library in for the Library parameter.
Method Select one of the following methods:
In order to use the Generate and/or Calculate features (see Updating Item-Level Information for more information) for creating alternative and/or temporary item-level call numbers on the Physical Item Editor page, you need to select the Prefix + Sequence option.
- Prefix + Sequence
- Sequence + Timestamp
PrefixWhen you select the Prefix + Sequence method, you can also specify a prefix to further define your sequence identification. The prefix precedes the sequence number that is generated. The prefix option can be a combination of letters, numbers, punctuation, and spaces. If you want a space to separate the prefix from the sequence number that is appended immediately after the prefix, enter a space at the end of the prefix you create in your configuration.Due to a technical limitation, it is currently possible to create two sequences with the same prefix for the same library and location (with a different sequence name); it is recommended that you not do this. Numeric sequences (which have no prefix) that are configured with the Prefix+Sequence method should only be created once in every institution (either as an institution-level sequence, library-level sequence, or location-level sequence).
- Click Add Row. The new sequence is added to the List of Generators section. Repeat this process to create additional accession number sequences. Accession Configuration Page Sequences Added
- When you have completed adding accession number sequences, customize the Next Sequence number (see Editing an Accession Number) as needed.
- When you are finished, click Save.
The accession number begins by default at 1 and is incremented by 1 each time an accession number is generated. It is possible to set an initial value different than 1. It is also possible to skip some numbers and set a new next sequence value, which must be higher than the last one in use.
To edit the accession number:
- On the Accession Configuration page, select Actions > Set Next Sequence Value for the sequence you want to change. The Set next number value dialog box opens. Set Next Number Value Dialog Box
- Enter a value that is higher than the last one in use.
- Click Save. The new sequence value displays in the List of Generators section.
You can delete an accession number sequence configuration.
To delete an accession number sequence:
- In the List of Generators section, select Actions > Delete for the sequence whose accession number configuration you want to delete.
- Click Confirm in the Confirmation Message dialog box. The accession number is removed from the List of Generators section.
In order to have the automatically generated accession number indexed and searchable in the repository, you must assign the accession number to a MARC field. For more information, see the procedure in Editing Physical Locations.