To configure ASRS functionality, you must have the following role:
- General System Administrator
- Fulfillment Services Operator
An Automated Storage and Retrieval System (ASRS) is a system for storing library resources using special cost-effective storing techniques, and based on an automated system which is used whenever a resource needs to be retrieved from the storage. The ASRS utilizes an automated retrieval machine and a special integrated software control system to provide fully automated, high density media archiving.
The Automated Remote Storage must be notified each time items are added or removed from the remote storage. Alma uses the Inventory Remote Storage Update job to send messages to the remote storage so that the ASRS can update its own database of inventory stored in the remote storage.
Additionally, Alma sends a message to the remote storage whenever a request is created, so that the ASRS system can automatically pull the proper bin off the shelf and supply the requested item.
To use Dematic ASRS, perform the following actions:
Configuring Dematic ASRS includes the following steps:
- Configure a Dematic ASRS integration profile – See Configuring a Dematic ASRS Integration Profile
- Configure Stunnel – See https://developers.exlibrisgroup.com/alma/integrations/remote_storage/ASRS
- Configure remote storage – See Adding a Remote Storage Facility.
- Configure locations – See Adding a Physical Location.
Configuring a Dematic ASRS Integration Profile
To configure a Dematic ASRS integration profile
- On the Integration Profiles List page (Administration > General Configuration > Configuration Menu > External Systems > Integration Profiles), click Add Integration Profile. The first page of the integration profile wizard opens. External System Page – Page 1 of Wizard
- In the Code and Name fields, enter a code and name for the profile, respectively.
- In the Integration type field, select Remote Storage. The System (for Ex Libris’ informational purposes) field appears.
- In the System (for Ex Libris’ informational purposes) field, select Dematic ASRS.
- Click Next. The second page of the wizard opens. External System Page – Page 2 of Wizard
- In the Integration type field, select Dematic ASRS. The page refreshes and displays additional fields. External System Page – Page 2 of Wizard
- In the Remote host name field, enter the Dematic ASRS host name, which is the same value as the hostname in the Alma Incoming entry in the Stunnel configuration's Connect field.
- In the Remote port field, enter the local port that receives messages from Alma. This value is the same port as in the Alma Incoming entry in the Stunnel configuration's Accept field.
- In the Active inventory remote storage job field, select Active.
- In the Schedule inventory remote storage job field, select the relevant scheduling for the inventory job to run the job automatically.
- Click Save to save the profile.
Requesting a Dematic ASRS Item
To request a Dematic ASRS item:
- On the Repository Search page (Resource Management > Search > Repository Search), perform a search for a title or item whose location is connected to remote storage, or whose integration profile has a type of ASRS Remote Storage.
- Click Request to place a request. If an ASRS item is available to fulfill the request, the item's Process Type = Requested on the Repository Search page. Repository Search Page – Process Type = RequestedThe request displays on the Resource Request Monitoring page (Fulfillment > Resource Requests > Monitor Requests & Item Processes) with Workflow Step = Request Communicated to Storage.Resource Request Monitoring Page – Workflow Step = Request Communicated to StorageWhen an ASRS system needs to be automatically updated by Alma with the addition or removal of items from the remote storage facility, the Inventory Remote Storage Update job must be activated (see the following procedure).
Running the ASRS Update Job
To run the job to update the ASRS with inventory changes:
- Ensure the Dematic ASRS integration profile is configured, as described in Configuring a Dematic ASRS Integration Profile.
- On the Integration Profiles List page (Administration > General Configuration > Configuration Menu > External Systems > Integration Profiles), select from the following options:
- To schedule the Inventory Remote Storage Update Job to run automatically, select the interval to run the job in the Schedule inventory remote storage update job field, and click Save. The scheduled job appears on the Monitor Jobs page (see Viewing Scheduled Jobs) with the name Inventory Remote Storage Update <Integration Profile Name>
- To run the Inventory Remote Storage Update Job manually, click Run Inventory Remote Storage Update Job. The job's output appears in a job report. For more information on job reports, see Viewing Job Reports.
- To schedule the Inventory Remote Storage Update Job to run automatically, select the interval to run the job in the Schedule inventory remote storage update job field, and click Save.