To enable SRU/SRW searches, you must have the following role:
- General System Administrator
Alma allows you to open your institution to SRU/SRW (search retrieval via URL/Web service, an XML based protocol) searches for the purpose of integration with external systems that want to search the Alma repository. To activate this capability, each institution must define and activate its own SRU Server integration profile and also indicate whether to return availability information in the response to SRU queries.
When doing an external search using SRU (Search/Retrieve via URL) and retrieving 10,000 or more records, Alma responds with an error message when it retrieves the next bulk of records exceeding the 10,000 limit. SRU integration is intended for integrating Alma search with other automated systems for the purposes of interlibrary loan, copy catalog, or selection. Using SRU integration for other workflows, such as performing bulk exports of records, is not supported.
For details on performing SRU requests, see the following page on the Alma Developer's Network: https://developers.exlibrisgroup.com/alma/integrations/SRU.
To configure the SRU Server integration profile for your institution:
- On the Integration Profile List page (Administration > General Configuration > Configuration Menu > External Systems > Integration Profiles), click Add Integration Profile. Page 1 of the External System wizard opens. Configuring an SRU Server (Page 1)
- Fill in the following required fields and then click Next:
The Default check box is not functional for this integration type.
- Code – Enter a unique code for the new integration type.
- Name – Enter a unique name for the new integration type.
- Integration Type – Select SRU Server.
- Click Next. Page 2 of the External System wizard opens. Configuring an SRU Server (Page 2)
- On page 2 of the wizard, specify the following fields:
- Active - Select this option to enable SRU capabilities for the institution.
- Add Availability - Select this option if you want to include the availability information—which is stored in the AVA (physical availability), AVE (electronic availability), and and AVD (digital availability) fields—in responses to SRU query requests. For more information, see The Retrieve Bib API.
- Add Representation Information - Select this option to have non-remote representation information exposed to the external system.
- Add Remote Representation Information - Select this option to have remote representation information exposed to the external system.
- Enrich with Members Availability ‐ Select this option to enable Alma to retrieve holdings availability for each member of the network when the network institution uses the SRU protocol to complete a search.
For MARCXML, the holdings availability indication is handled using the following MARCXML format:
- Dublin Core format and all MARC schemas (including UNIMARC and CNMARC) are supported for SRU/SRW. The following crosswalk are supported:
- From Dublin Core and MARCXML to every other format (Dublin Core, MARCXML, CNMARCXML, KORMARCXML, and UNIMARCXML)
- From every format (Dublin Core, MARCXML, CNMARCXML, KORMARCXML, and UNIMARCXML) to Dublin Core and MARCXML. Crosswalks between CNMARCXML, KORMARCXML, and UNIMARCXML are not supported.When the conversion from the original record's format to the requested format is unavailable, Alma returns the original record. For more information, see the Developers Network.
- For Dublin Core records with representations, the DC identifier field is added with a URL for each representation.
- MARC 852 field
- $a Location – Institution code
- $6 Linkage – MMS ID
- $9 Local field – P (print) / E (electronic) / D (digital)
- Click Save.