To configure publishing to PubMed (managed by NLM), you must have one of the following roles:
- Catalog Administrator
- Repository Administrator
- General System Administrator
You can share with PubMed your electronic journal inventory that is relevant to PubMed. By sharing this information, PubMed (managed by NLM) provides a visual indication for the PubMed titles to which the library has full-text access and access to them using the Alma Link Resolver. After creating and scheduling the publishing profile, a Publish Records to PubMed job is scheduled.
You can identify/customize the following details in the PubMed publishing profile:
- Your PubMed ID
- URL that identifies the icon/graphic file that displays in the PubMed search results
- Text for the link label that displays in the PubMed search results
- Primo base URL/Alma Link Resolver base URL for accessing the resource from the PubMed search results.
The XML file generated from Alma includes:
- PubMed ISSNs (or EISSNs) available in the Alma inventory
- Coverage information (from year/month/day until year/month/day) as available
- Embargo/rolling year information as available
For detailed information on setting up the PubMed LinkOut tool for Alma, see this Tech Blog.
To configure a PubMed Publishing Profile:
- On the Publishing Profiles page (Resource Management > Resource Configuration > Configuration Menu > Record Export > Publishing Profiles) select Actions > Edit for the Publish electronic record to PubMed publishing profile. The Publishing Profile Details page appears. PubMed Publishing Profile Details Page
- Complete the publishing profile configuration using the information provided in the table below.
PubMed Publishing Profile Configuration Options Parameter Description Submission Format section: FTP configuration Select the FTP configuration to be used from the drop-down list of available FTP configurations. That is, select the FTP configuration that contains the appropriate server, port, user name, and password for the connection (see Configuring S/FTP Connections.) Subdirectory Specify the subdirectory in which the files should be placed for the FTP upload. For example, if you specified Alma in the subdirectory field for the S/FTP connection configuration, and you enter PubMed in this subdirectory field, the data is exported to the Alma/PubMed directory. File name prefix Enter the alphanumeric characters that you want to use as the prefix for the file name that is created. To this prefix, the system adds a sequence number (starting with 1) and a date suffix in the date/time format of YYYYMMDDhhmm and an extension of .xml.
When there are more than 50,000 records, the system creates a new file and the sequence number is incremented.
Status Specify whether this is an active or inactive profile. In order for a publishing job to run using this profile, you need to indicate that this is an active profile. Scheduling Select the publishing schedule you prefer from the drop-down list of options. Email Notifications Opens the Email Notifications for Scheduled Jobs page, which allows you to specify which users and email addresses will receive email notifications when the publishing profile has completed. You will have the option to choose whether to send the notifications for successful jobs and/or jobs that contain errors. Provider ID Enter the ID provided to you by PubMed. Location of Alma icon Enter the URL address for displaying an Alma Link Resolver icon (or other icon/graphic file of your choice) in the PubMed search results. The following is provided:
This parameter is optional and will be published only when something is specified.
Link label Enter the text that you want used to identify the link’s title in the PubMed results (such as Link to Alma). Link Resolver Base URL Enter the base URL for the Alma Link Resolver using the following format and inserting your institution’s information where indicated:
http://<primo server host:port>/openurl/<primo institution_code>/<primo view_code>?
If you are unfamiliar with your base URL for the Alma Link Resolver, contact Ex Libris Support for assistance.
- Click Save.
- To publish the records manually, select Actions > Run for the Publish electronic record to PubMed publishing profile.