To create a publishing profile, you must have one of the following roles:
- Catalog Administrator
- Repository Administrator
- General System Administrator
Alma enables you to publish records to third-party systems. Alma publishing includes several features:
- Incrementally published data through files or OAI-PMH.
- Optional enrichment of inventory-related data. Specifically, the enrichment adds a holdings representation field (852), including the following subfields:
- Library (b)
- Location (c)
- Call number (h)
- Normalization (reformatting) of the published data.
- Notification about inventory deletion.
Published records are encoded using UTF-8.
To create a general publishing profile to an external target:
- On the Publishing Profiles page (Resource Management > Resource Configuration > Configuration Menu > Record Export > Publishing Profiles) click Add Profile and select General Profile. The first page of the add profile wizard appears. Publishing Profile Details Page - Wizard Step 1
- Complete the configuration options on page 1 of the wizard using the table below that describes each option.
Publishing Profile Details Page - Wizard Step 1 Parameter Description Profile name A name for the profile that distinguishes it from other profiles on the Publishing Profiles List page. Profile description A free text description of the profile that shows on the Publishing Profiles List page in the Profile Description field. Enter salient details that allow you and others to identify the profile’s optimal use. Status Select Active or Inactive. Active makes the profile available to users. Inactive makes it unavailable but visible in the list of profiles (with a clear check mark rather than a yellow one). SchedulingFrom the drop-down list, select one of the scheduling options provided by the system (dependent on your time zone and data center). There are daily, weekly, monthly, and hourly New for May! options from which to select.If you select Not scheduled, the export job for this publishing profile will not run until you select a different scheduling option from the drop-down list for this profile. Email Notifications Click to open the Email Notifications for Scheduled Jobs page, which allows you to specify which users and email addresses will receive email notifications when the publishing profile has completed. You will have the option to choose whether to send the notifications for successful jobs and/or jobs that contain errors. Content section Set name Click the search icon to view the available sets for publishing. (Sets of the following type are shown: All Titles, Physical Titles, Electronic Titles, or Digital Titles.)From the drop-down list, select the filter that you want to use against the set of records that you selected in the Set name parameter. The list of filters that appears is a list of the indication rules that you have created in the MD Editor.Indication Rules for Filter RecordsSee Working with Indication Rules for more information.When you run the publishing job, the filter that you select will be applied to the set of records after the enrichment of records has occurred (if you specify enrichment in Step 2 of the profile wizard as shown below) and before the filtered set of records is normalized and published.Publishing Profile Enrichment ParametersRecords in the selected set that match the true condition specified in the indication rule are filtered out of the set and not published. Publish on Indicates the level at which the records are published. The following options are available:
- Bibliographic level (standard) – Select this option to publish records at the bibliographic level. If this option is selected, one bibliographic record is published containing the holdings, portfolio, and item details from the inventory data enrichment.
- Holdings/portfolio level – Select this option to publish records at the holdings or portfolio level. This option is useful if your institution needs to publish holdings records separately from the bibliographic record. When this option is selected, one bibliographic record is published for each unique holdings or portfolio associated with the bibliographic record. If one bibliographic record is associated with multiple holdings or portfolios, the bibliographic record is published multiple times. Additional normalization rules must be applied to remove the bibliographic information from the record.
- Item/portfolio level – Select this option to publish records at the item or portfolio level. When this option is selected, one bibliographic record is published for each unique item or portfolio associated with the bibliographic record. If one bibliographic record is associated with multiple portfolios or items, the bibliographic record is published multiple times. Alma displays a message to alert you to this method of output processing (see the figure Publish On Item/Portfolio Level Message). This functionality may be useful for integration with external sources such as the Hathi Trust and Aurora (State Library of Queensland).
Output Format From the drop-down list, select an output format such as:
- MARC21 Bibliographic
- Dublin Core (Simple)
- Dublin Core (Qualified)
Publishing Mode Select one of:
- Incremental – Publish changed records since the last time the profile was run
- Full – Publish all records. When selected, the Scheduling field is limited to Not Scheduled and On the 01 of Every Month. Full publishing publishes only non-deleted records. You must also make sure that old records that have been deleted/suppressed from Alma are treated as expected. It is recommended that you also run incremental publishing to publish all recently deleted records as deleted.
- Date Range – Publish all records between two dates. Enter or select the dates in the From date and To date fields (not shown). When selected, the profile cannot be scheduled; it is run once when the configuration is complete.
- Republish Set – Publish a specific (sub)set of records. You must have already created the set. Enter or select the set in the Set name field. When selected, the profile cannot be scheduled; it is run once when the configuration is complete.
Publishing Protocol section – FTP FTP Select this check box to publish using the FTP protocol. This means that records are published to a given FTP setting. The published records are in the format selected as the output format, for example, MARC21.Once selected, the following fields appear: FTP configuration and Sub-directory FTP configuration field values come from your institution’s setup of the protocol (Administration > General Configuration > Configuration Menu > External Systems > S/FTP Definitions). The Sub-directory field is an additional relative path to the FTP configuration. For example, if you specified Alma in the Sub-directory field during S/FTP connection configuration and you enter exports in this field, the data is exported to the Alma/exports directory.For a pre-defined list of sites (maintained by Ex Libris), you can disable compression for an FTP connection used by a general publishing profile. After selecting one of the defined sites, select Disable file compression. The Compressed file extension field is removed from the page (since the extension is not used for this profile).The sites are ftp.exlibris.co.il and scp.oclc.org. Single File Configuration Physical format Select MARC XML or MARC binary. Number of records in the file Select the maximum number of records per file published.Your options are to choose a maximum of 1,000, 5,000, or 10,000 records per file or to select a single file option with no maximum records specified. The default is 1,000 records per file.This capability enables you to determine how many records are included in each file in order to align with external source requirements regarding file structure. Compressed File Configuration Use default file name Select Yes or No. Compressed file name prefix Enter a short prefix for identification purposes on your compressed output. This is required when you select Yes for Use default file name. The system appends the process ID and a date/time to the prefix you specify for the file name that is created.A compressed tar.gz file is not created (as indicated in the UI). Rather, individual MARC files are created. Compressed file extension The extension on the compressed output. File name Enter a single file name to be used for the publishing output that is created. This parameter dynamically displays and is required when you select No for Use default file name. Publishing Protocol section – OAI OAI Select this check box to publish using the OAI protocol. This option enables you to publish the records so that they are exposed as an OAI set. This means that if the institution configures Alma as an OAI repository (see Setting Up OAI Integration) it is able to see the published records by OAI set using the standard OAI-PMH protocol. Note that the format of the records (the content in the metadata element) is in the format selected as the output format, for example, MARC21.Once selected, the following fields appear: Set Spec A colon (:) separated list indicating the path from the root of the set hierarchy to the respective node. It must be unique for each set. Set Name The name of the set. The set must be defined according to the OAI requirements. Metadata Prefix The prefix on the output. Publishing Protocol section – Z39.50
- Database Name
- Group ID
- User Name
These settings need to be provided by/coordinated with the group/service (such as KERIS) to which you are connecting by using the Z39.50 protocol.The following are the options that appear when selecting FTP, OAI, or Z39.50:FTP, OAI, and Z39.50 Options
- Click Next. If you selected MARC21 Bibliographic as the output format, the following appears: Normalization and Inventory Enrichment – MARC21 BibliographicIf you selected Dublin Core (Simple) as the output format, the following appears:Normalization and Inventory Enrichment – Dublin Core
- Complete the parameters for step 2 of the wizard using the table below that describes these parameters.
Fields on the Publishing Profile Details Page - Wizard Step 2 Parameter Description Bibliographic Normalization section Correct the data using normalization rules Select a normalization rule (if needed) from the drop-down list of rules (that you previously created and saved). Linked data enrichment Select this check box to add the $$0 (subfield zero) with linked data URIs to certain records when publishing. For detailed information, see https://developers.exlibrisgroup.com/alma/integrations/linked_data. Physical Inventory Enrichment section (MARC21 Bibliographic only) Add Holdings Information Select this check box if you want to map the holdings field/subfield information from the Alma database into the bibliographic field/subfield for the record(s) being built for publishing. The system dynamically opens a Quick Add dialog box for entering your mapping specifications. Click Add. Repeat mapping holdings fields/subfields to match your requirements for this publishing profile.The following mappings are permitted:
For more details about adding holdings information, refer to the General Publishing Profile: Add Holdings and Item Info video (8:16 mins).
- Control fields (such as the LDR) can be mapped to the bibliographic LDR.
- In addition to mapping subfield information separately, all subfields of a holdings field can be mapped to the bibliographic field. For example, if the 852 field includes subfields a, b, c, h, and so forth, each subfield will be mapped to each subfield automatically in the 900 field by adding the following mapping:
- Holding Tag – 852
- Holding Subfield – leave blank
- Bib Tag – 900
- Bib Subfield – leave blank
Add Items Information Select this check box to include item information in the bibliographic record(s) being built for publishing.Specify the field/subfields to which the related item record information should be mapped in the bibliographic record that will be created for publishing.The following item information can be mapped: item ID, barcode, copy ID, material type, item policy/status, provenance, magnetic indication, enumeration A/B, chronology I/J, description, process type, permanent library/location, current library/location, call number type/call number, alternative call number type/alternative call number, temporary call number type/temporary call number, inventory number, storage location, pages, pieces, notes (Public, Fulfillment, Internal 1-3, and Statistics 1-3), PO line number, and due back date.For every physical item that is related to the published bibliographic record, Alma will create a field/subfield combination in the bibliographic record to publish using the mapping that you identify in the Physical Inventory Enrichment section of this page.For item information such as library, location, and material type that may have both a code and description, only the code is published, not the description.Specific to mapping library/location information, you can use either the permanent library/location or the current library/location options. When you use the current library/location mapping option, the system will publish either the permanent library/location or the temporary library/location information depending on the item’s library/location at the time of publishing.For more details about adding item information, refer to the General Publishing Profile: Add Holdings and Item Info video (8:16 mins). Electronic Inventory Enrichment section (MARC21 Bibliographic only) Add Electronic Portfolio InformationSelect this check box if you want to enrich publishing records with electronic inventory information for the purpose of integrating with third-party platforms. Once selected, the following parameters appear.See the following rows for an explanation of these parameters. Repeatable field Specify the MARC field that will hold the enrichment information in the published record. This field is mandatory. Portfolio PIDUse this parameter to specify the subfield (other than $8) for the portfolio PID.By default, $8 contains the portfolio ID. If you prefer to have the portfolio ID stored in a subfield other than $8, indicate the preferred subfield for the portfolio ID in the Portfolio PID parameter in the Electronic Inventory Enrichment section and use a normalization rule to remove $8. Access URL subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the access URL for the electronic resource.If you specify this field, you must enter the Link Resolver Base Resolver field. Link Resolver Base URL Enter the base URL for your link resolver. For the Alma Link Resolver, use the following format and insert your institution's information where indicated:http://<primo server host:port>/openurl/<primo institution_code>/<primo view_code>? Collection Name subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the name of the collection for the electronic resource. Library subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the name of the library for the electronic resource. Interface Name subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the name of the interface for the electronic resource. Public Note subfield Specify the subfield that will contain public notes for the electronic resource. Coverage Statement subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the coverage statement for the electronic resource. CZ Collection Identifier subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the collection identifier for the electronic resource. Digital Inventory Enrichment section Add Digital Representation Information Select this check box if you want to enrich publishing records with digital inventory information for the purpose of integrating with third-party platforms. Once selected, the following fields appear.For Dublin Core output, only the Repeatable field appears. Repeatable field Specify the field that will hold the enrichment information in the published record. Internal Identifier (PID) Subfield Specify the Internal Identifier (PID). Delivery URL Subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the Delivery URL. Thumbnail URL Subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the Thumbnail URL. Label Subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the Label. Public Note Subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the Public Note. Library Subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the Library. Usage Type Subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the Usage Type. Entity Type Subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the Entity Type. Delivery Description Subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the Delivery Description. Add Remote Representation Information Select this check box if you want to enrich publishing records with remote representation information for the purpose of integrating with third-party platforms. Once selected, the following fields appear in addition to the fields that appear when selecting Add Digital Representation Information.For Dublin Core output, only the Repeatable field appears. Repository Code Subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the Repository Code. Repository Name Subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the Repository Name. Originating Object ID Subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the Originating Object ID. Linking Parameter 1-5 Subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the Linking Parameter 1-5. Collection Enrichment section Add Collection Information Select this check box if you want to enrich publishing records with collection information for the purpose of integrating with third-party platforms. Once selected, the following fields appear.For Dublin Core output, only this field appears. Repeatable field Specify the field that will hold the enrichment information in the published record. Collection Name Subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the collection name. Collection ID Subfield Specify the subfield that will contain the collection ID.
- Click Next to open the third step of the publishing profile wizard. Adding a Publishing Profile, Enable OAI Provider
- To enable publishing to an OAI provider, select the check box.
- Click Save to enter the profile in the database and return to the Publishing Profiles list page.
To work with an existing general publishing profile:
- On the Publishing Profiles page (Resource Management > Resource Configuration > Configuration Menu > Records Export > Publishing Profiles), select General Profiles in the Publishing Profile Type filter.
- Select one of the following row actions:
General Publishing Profile Row Action Options
- Edit - Edit the profile
- Delete - Delete the profile
- Run - Run the profile
- History - View the profile's run history