To manage resource sharing lending requests, you must have one of the following roles:
- Fulfillment Services Operator (for the resource sharing library)
- Fulfillment Services Manager (for the resource sharing library)
- Create a lending request, either manually (see Adding a Resource Sharing Lending Task Manually) or using search (see Adding a Resource Sharing Lending Task From a Search).
- Process the lending request using Manage Fulfillment Options - this retrieves the resource, either by moving a physical item or creating a digital file (see Managing Fulfillment Options).
- Process the resources that are to be used to fulfill the resource sharing request (see Placing Requests).
- Shipping the resources (see Shipping Resource Sharing Lending Request Resources), as follows:
- Physical or Physical Non-Returnable Items – Send to resource sharing desk
- Digital Items – Send by email
- Receive the item back from the borrowing institution and scan it in to the library to be reshelved. This is done in the same manner as described in Shipping Resource Sharing Lending Request Resources. After you scan an item into Alma, an ISO checked-in message is sent to the borrowing library and the request closes automatically. A checked-in ISO message is sent only if the active partner’s workflow profile includes Checked In Message as a valid option (see Configuring Workflow Profiles).
Resource Sharing Lending Requests Task List Page
The Fulfillment Services Operator manages the pool of resource sharing lending requests on the Resource Sharing Lending Requests Task List page (Fulfillment > Resource Sharing > Lending Requests). You can also view this page, on a pre-selected tab and with the requests pre-filtered, by clicking one of the following links in the Tasks List in the persistent menu (see Persistent UI-Elements):
- Lending requests - New - assigned to you
- Lending requests - New - unassigned
- Lending requests - Overdue - assigned to you - Pre-filters for requests with the status Overdue Request
- Lending requests - Overdue - unassigned
- Lending requests - Recalled - assigned to you - Pre-filters for requests with the status Recalled Item
- Lending requests - Recalled - unassigned
- Lending requests failed locate - assigned to you - Pre-filters for requests with the status Locate Failed
- Lending requests failed locate - unassigned
- Lending requests with active general messages - assigned to you - Pre-filters for requests that have a general message
- Lending requests with active general messages - unassigned
- Lending requests with active notes - assigned to you - Pre-filters for requests that have a request note
- Lending requests with active notes - unassigned
To manage the lending resource sharing tasks:
- On the Resource Sharing Lending Requests Task List page, filter results using the Activity Status filter at the top of the page, where you can select to view All, Active, or Completed requests. If you select All or Completed, the task list remains empty until you enter a search term in the Find box for one or more specific requests. You can also filter results using the facets on the left side of the page.
- Click one of the following tabs:
These tabs include a 'Has Data' indicator that turns blue when requests are available for that tab.A Fulfillment Services Manager can view resource sharing tasks assigned to other users, as well as release and reassign these tasks, but cannot duplicate or edit resource sharing tasks assigned to others.
- Assigned to Me – Displays resource sharing tasks that are assigned to the user that is logged in.
- Unassigned – Displays resource sharing tasks that are unassigned.
- Assigned to Others – Displays resource sharing tasks that are assigned to other users. This tab is displayed only if the logged-in user has the role of Fulfillment Services Manager.
- Locate the task or tasks you want to manage. You can locate specific tasks using the Find box at the top of the list, or using the Status, Partner, and Alerts filters on the left side of the page. You can add a task to the list manually (see Adding a Resource Sharing Lending Task Manually) or from a repository search (see Adding a Resource Sharing Lending Task From a Search). For more information about using the find box, see the Enhanced Search Options in Resource Sharing video (1:32 mins).
To manage several tasks simultaneously, select the check boxes to the left of these tasks (or Select all) and click one of the following buttons:
- Change Status – Change the status of the specified items. Select a status from the drop-down list and click Change Status. There are statuses that indicate the final step in the request is done (terminal statuses). Requests in these statuses may be removed. The list of terminal statuses follows:
- Shipped digitally
- Request completed
- Being processed
- Cancel reply
- Created lending request
- Lender check in
- Locate failed
- Overdue request
- Recalled item
- Received by partner
- Rejected the borrower request
- Renew requested
- Returned by partner
- Shipped physically
- Will supply
- Print Slip Report – Print a slip report that is sent to a printer or email address, or can be downloaded to a local machine (see the procedure below.). The report contains the items and their information, including Title, Author, Location, and so forth. For more information about the print slip report for lending requests, see the Print Slip Report for Lending Requests video (2:35 mins).
- Print Slip – Print a call slip for each of the selected items. For information about the slip, see the Lending Requests Report Slip Letter in Configuring Alma Letters.
- Remove Requests – Remove requests associated with the items. Click Confirm in the Confirmation Message dialog box to remove the requests.
- Remove Alerts – Remove alerts associated with the items. Click Confirm in the Confirmation Message dialog box to remove the alerts.
To manage a specific task, click one of the links beneath the relevant task, as described in the following table:
|Edit||Available in the Assigned and Unassigned tabs. Clicking Edit for an unassigned task locks the task for editing by other operators.|
|Manage fulfillment options||The Fulfillment Services Operator performs internal library procedures which makes the resource requested by the resource sharing library available (see Managing Fulfillment Options). |
Assign an unassigned request to the current user.
|Remove||Remove the request from the system.|
|Duplicate||Create a new task based on the existing one. The Resource Sharing Lending Request page opens, where you modify the request parameters in the Request Attribute section, as needed (see Request Attribute Fields table). |
When duplicating a Resource Sharing Lending request, the values in the following fields are copied to the new request:
|Reassign||Reassign a task to another user (see Reassigning a Task).|
|Detach from MMS||Detach a lending request from its inventory (see below To detach a resource sharing lending request from inventory).|
|Checked In||Send an ISO checked-in message to the borrowing library, indicating that the item has been returned to the lending library. The request is automatically closed. |
A checked-in ISO message is sent only if the active partner’s workflow profile includes Checked In Message as a valid option (see Configuring Workflow Profiles).
|Locate||Displayed for items for which Resource Locate Status = No Resources Located. Alma attempts to locate the resource, either due to the resource not being located or because there are multiple resources that have been found. |
When multiple resources are found, the results display on the Repository Search page, where you can either select a result or click the Change Query link to modify the search value.
It is recommended to click Edit for a resource and update relevant information before clicking Locate. When a resource is located, the status changes to Resource Located.
|Search||Displayed for items for which Resource Locate Status = No Resources Located. Opens the repository search page, which enables performing a new resource search to locate the resource.|
|Reject||Reject a lending request (see Rejecting a Lending Request).|
|Release assign (on the Assigned to Me tab)||Move the task from the Assigned to Me tab to the Unassigned tab.|
For automated requests (ISO, NCIP, etc.), this action will also appear if the Request Status is Renew Requested and the workflow profile is configured as follows:
(For details on configuring workflow profiles, see Configuring Workflow Profiles.)
For non-automated requests, when Request Status is Received by Partner and Manual renew is selected as a step in the workflow profile, the action is available.
Click the option to open the Due Date dialog box. Enter a due date and click OK to create the renewal.
Optionally, you can add an Internal note and/or a Note to partner in the relevant fields. For details on these fields, see step 3 in Rejecting a Borrowing Request.
|Print slip||Print a call slip for the item, containing both the external ID and barcode of the item. |
For requests that have not yet been shipped, this option prints an incoming request slip (Lending Requests Report Slip Letter). For requests that have already been shipped, this option prints a shipping slip (Resource Sharing Shipping Slip Letter), containing additional information specific to the item being shipped.
For information on these slips, see Configuring Alma Letters.
|Ship non-returnable||Ship the request to the borrowing library as a non-returnable copy, with the status Shipped Physically. Displayed only when the request’s format is Physical non-returnable.|
|Ship item||Ship the item associated with the request. The Shipping Items page opens (see Shipping Items).|
|General Message||Send a general message with a lending request to a borrower (see Sending a General Message With a Resource Sharing Request).|
|Will Supply||Update a request that has not yet shipped with a Will Supply status. Displayed only when the request is not yet shipped and the borrowing partner’s workflow includes Will Supply (see Configuring Workflow Profiles).|
|More details||Open a pop-up window displaying additional details about the request that are not displayed in the request's listing on the Resource Sharing Lending Requests Task List page.|
If a request is processed automatically (by ISO/NCIP) and if either no resource is found or multiple resources are found that match the input criteria, the request is created with Citation Status = Locate Failed and Resource Locate Status = No Resources Located.
To detach a resource sharing lending request from inventory:
- On the Resource Sharing Lending Requests Task List page, locate a request that has resources attached to it (Resource Locate Status = Resource Located).
- Click Detach from MMS. The Resource Sharing Lending Requests Task List page refreshes, and the request displays with Resource Locate Status = No Resources Located.
- Open the Resource Sharing Lending Request Task List page (Fulfillment > Resource Sharing > Lending Requests). The Print Slip Report button appears at the top of the page. Resource Sharing Lending Requests Task List Page – Print Slip Report Button
- Select the check boxes of the resources for which you want to generate a print slip report and click Print Slip Report. The Print Slip Report Dialog Box appears. Print Slip Report Dialog Box
- In the Choose type field, select whether you want to send the print slip report to a Printer or a User. If you select Printer, the Printer field is enabled, from which you select a printer to send the print slip report.If you select User, the User field is enabled, from which you select a user to send the print slip report by email.
- In the Format type field, select to send the print slip report either in Excel or XML format.
- Click Send to send the print slip report, or optionally, click Download to download the print slip report to your local machine.
Alerts are attached to a resource sharing task during the main steps of a request's workflow. The alerts show the progress of the request (in Process, Canceled, or Completed). The alerts are:
- Citation Move Request in Process
- Citation Move Request Canceled
- Citation Move Request Completed
- Citation Digitization Request in Process
- Citation Digitization Request Canceled
- Citation Digitization Request Completed
You can filter the displayed alerts by selecting an alert type from the Alerts drop-down list, or using the Find box at the top of the list.
To remove alerts:
- On the Resource Sharing Lending Requests Task List page, select the check boxes of the tasks whose alerts you want to remove.
- Click Remove Alerts.
- Click Confirm in the Confirmation Message dialog box.
You can reassign a task only if you are assigned the task or if it is unassigned.
To reassign a task:
- On the Resource Sharing Lending Requests Task List page (Fulfillment > Resource Sharing > Lending Requests), click Reassign for the relevant task. The Assign To dialog box opens. Assign To Dialog Box
- From the Assign to drop-down list, select an operator. The list of operators includes only those users who have the Fulfillment Services Operator role.
- In the Note field, enter notes, as needed.
- Select the Send as e-mail check box to notify the operator of the new assignment.
- Click Assign To.
You can view the actions taken on resource sharing lending requests on the Audit tab, in the same manner that you do for resource sharing borrowing requests. For details, see Viewing Borrowing Request Actions.
The Fulfillment Services Operator performs internal library procedures which make the resource requested by the resource sharing library available.
To manage fulfillment options:
On the Resource Sharing Lending Requests Task List page (Fulfillment > Resource Sharing > Lending Requests), click Manage fulfillment options beneath an item. The Manage Resource Options page opens.
Manage Resource Options Page
Clicking the Manage fulfillment options link assigns an unassigned request to the current user, even when clicking Cancel to exit the Manage Resource Options page without performing an action.
Select from the relevant service type on the Manage Resource Options page, as follows:
- Electronic Services — Click Document Delivery to open the Create Request page and enable delivery of the electronic item. The Request type field has the value Ship digitally from electronic. Enter the part to digitize and select the target destination in the relevant fields, add the date by which the item is needed in the Add Request Attributes section, and click Submit. The submitted request is displayed on the Manage Resource Options page. Manage Resource Options Page with Submitted Request
- Digital Services — Displays the preservation type, revision number, and number of files for digital services. You can click Document Delivery and then select Attach to attach the resource to an email and send it digitally.
- Physical Services — Select Actions > View items to view items for the resource (see Using the List of Items). Select Actions > Request to create a request for the resource (see Creating a Request).
When a request’s item is sent to Alma by the NCIP source system, the item’s Note field contains a shipping note which displays in the following format:
||Shipping Note||<text of shipping note>||Shipping Note||
The shipping note is used by NCIP implementers, such as OCLC Navigator, to update the library system with additional information about shipped items such as information about the resource itself, the requester, and the locations from where it is requested and is to be picked up.
You can also perform the relevant action by clicking the displayed buttons on the Manage Resource Options page:
When the resources are available after performing fulfillment option management actions, a request for the item (digital or physical) is opened.
To place a request for an item:
- On the Manage Resource Options page, click Place Request. The Create Request page opens. Create Request Page
- In the Request type field, select Ship digitally or Ship physically, as needed. The Create Request page refreshes accordingly:
- Ship digitally: Create Request Page After Ship Digitally Request
- Ship physically: Create Request Page After Ship Physically Request
- Ship digitally:
- Configure the displayed fields, as described in the following table:
- Add request attributes in the Add Request Attributes area.
- From the drop-down list, select an attribute and enter or choose a value for the attribute. Where relevant, select the check box to mark the attribute as True. Alma attempts to fulfill the request using any item that matches the selected attribute. For example, if a loan period attribute of 1 week loan is selected, only one-week loans are used to fulfill the request. If you select Date needed by, click the calendar and select a date by which the resource is needed from the calendar pop-up window.To remove an attribute value, click Refresh Values.When creating a Patron digitization request and adding a Partial Digitization attribute, you can select the check box next to Refresh Values and click Add Request Attribute to add the Partial Digitization request attribute as True.
- Click Add Request Attribute. The additional request attribute appears in the Additional Request Attributes area as shown in the following example.Additional Request Attributes
- Repeat this procedure for each attribute to add to the request. To remove an attribute, click Remove in the Additional Request Attributes area.
- Click Submit.
- From the drop-down list, select an attribute and enter or choose a value for the attribute. Where relevant, select the check box to mark the attribute as True. Alma attempts to fulfill the request using any item that matches the selected attribute. For example, if a loan period attribute of 1 week loan is selected, only one-week loans are used to fulfill the request.
You can reject a resource sharing lending task for a variety of reasons. For example, if an item is already on loan or is not found in the library, you can reject the patron request.
To reject a lending request:
- On the Resource Sharing Lending Requests Task List page (Fulfillment > Resource Sharing > Lending Requests), click Reject for a request. The Reject Request dialog box opens. Reject Request Pop-up Window
- Select a reason for the rejection in the Reject reason field.
- Optionally, add a note for the rejection in the Internal note and Note to Partner fields.
- Click OK. The request turns to the next partner in the request’s rota (if one is configured – see step 3 in Editing a Borrowing Request). If no partner is found, the request's citation status changes to Rejected the borrower request, and the Reject reason and Internal note are displayed in the Notes tab for the request (click the Edit link for the request to view the Notes tab). If the request is managed using an ISO partner, an Unfill message is sent to the borrowing library, which marks the partner request as Rejected (see Rejecting a Borrowing Request).
You can ship the resource sharing lending request item to the borrowing institution. The borrowing institution then delivers it to the patron who requested it.
To ship resource sharing lending request resources:
- On the Scan In Items page (Fulfillment > Resource Requests > Scan In Items), ensure that you are at a Resource Sharing library; see Switching Library Desks/Departments. Scan In Items Page
- In the External Identifier field, select Yes.
- Scan an item barcode and a request ID of the resource sharing item in the relevant fields.
- Click OK. The item is scanned into the Resource Sharing Library and displays at the bottom of the page. The item’s status updates to Shipped and the item is sent to the borrowing partner.