To pick up an item from its location in the stacks, you must have the following role:
- Requests Operator
Physical items are picked up from a shelf in the stacks (the general shelves of the library). If requested by a patron, the item is transferred to the hold shelf (see Managing the Hold Shelf).
This section describes the task options that are available to the Requests Operator when picking up an item from the stacks.
Learn how to export a list of pickup from shelf items in the Export List of Pick from Shelf Items video (2:23 mins).
The following information appears in the pickup list for an item:
- ISBN or ISSN
- Imprint – The place of publication, publisher, and date of publication
If there are items to be picked up from a shelf in the stacks, a Requests Operator’s Tasks list on the Alma home page contains a Requests - pick up from shelf task, which links to the Pick Up from Shelf page.
To pick up items at the shelf:
- On the Pick Up Requested Resources page (Fulfillment > Resource Requests > Pick From Shelf), locate requested resources from the facets on the left side of the page. Pick Up Requested Resources PageThe Pick From Shelf option appears only when you are at a circulation desk; see Switching Library Desks/Departments.The facets that appear depend on the characteristics of the requests. The available facets include:
If you select a facet which filters out requests for a specific title, (such as selecting Today under the Request Date facet when requests exist for the title both that were created today and on an earlier day), a Note appears indicating the number of requests for the item filtered out by the facet (Note: 1 Additional request was faceted out).
- Request Date – Date on which the request was made
- Request/Process Type – The request type
- Location – The location where the request items are shelved
- Call Number – Call number of the item
- Pickup Institution – Institution where the patron will pick up the item or to which the item will be moved
- Destination – Location where the patron will pick up the item or to which the item will be moved
- Material Type – Requested material type
- Request Printed – Requests for which a slip has been printed
- Request Reported – Requests which are included in a Slip Report (that is, Print Slip Report was selected for these requests)
- Select from the following options:
- Print slip – Prints a call slip for the item that can subsequently be attached to the item by the Requests Operator. The item’s barcode is scanned (see Scanning Items), and the call slip is placed with the item. You can also select Print slip from the Print slip drop-down list and click Execute. The print slip option uses the letter, FulReasourceRequestSlipLetter. For more information, see Configuring Alma Letters. If a slip was printed when picking up an item from the shelf, it can be re-used when placing the item on the hold shelf. However, you can choose to print additional slips as necessary (for example, if the original slip was lost) by clicking this option.
- Print Slip Report – Creates either an XML or Excel report that contains a detailed list of resources that need to be picked up. It can be used instead of printing separate call slips for each request. The report can be sent to a printer, emailed to a user, or displayed on the screen. This link opens the following dialog box, which allows you to specify the format type of the report and the report’s destination: Print Slip Report Dialog BoxFor title requests submitted using Alma/Primo, barcodes from all titles—both preferred and non-preferred—are included in the print slip report.Choose one of the following destination types in the Type field and click Send:
- Printer – The Excel report is sent to the printer destination selected from the Printer drop-down list.
- User – The report is attached to the Print Slip Report Letter that is sent to the email address of the user specified in the User field. To customize the Print Slip Report letter, configure the FulPickupRequestReportLetter letter. For more information, see Configuring Alma Letters.
- If you prefer to view the report on the screen, click Download instead of Send.
- Edit – Opens the Create Request page, where you can edit the request (see Creating a Request).
- Cancel Request – Cancels the request. On the Confirm Request Cancellation page that opens, select a reason from the Cancellation reason drop-down box. Enter a cancellation note as needed, and select Notify user to send notification (Ful Cancel Request Letter) of the cancellation to patrons. Click Confirm. To configure the notification, see Configuring Alma Letters.
- Update Expiry – Changes the expiry date for the request. Click the expiration date box, select a new date and click Save. If an expiration date passes and an item is not picked up from the shelf, it is marked as missing. The Requests - Handle Expiration Step job tries to locate the item at another location, and if it cannot, it cancels the request for the item. To manually change the item’s missing status, you can toggle the item status from Item not in place to Item in place on the List of Items page (see The List of Items).
- Skip Location – The request will be deactivated from the current location and attempted to be fulfilled by another location.
- Mark as Missing – This action marks all items under the holding as missing.
- Convert to Resource Sharing – Convert the request to a resource sharing borrowing request. If there are multiple requests aggregated into a single request, all of these requests are converted with this action. This action will succeed if:
- The request is a Hold or General Hold request (request for holding without item)
- The workflow step is Not Activated, Pickup-From Shelf, or Waiting for Remote Storage.
- The user has the CONVERT_HOLD_TO_BORROWING privilege (see Privileges Report).
- The request's Date Needed By has not passed.
- The requested pickup location is supported for resource sharing requests.
- View Title in Search - Opens a repository search for the item.
- Print slip – Prints a call slip for the item that can subsequently be attached to the item by the Requests Operator. The item’s barcode is scanned (see Scanning Items), and the call slip is placed with the item. You can also select Print slip from the Print slip drop-down list and click Execute. The print slip option uses the letter, FulReasourceRequestSlipLetter. For more information, see Configuring Alma Letters.
To cancel or print call slips for all of the items, click Select all and choose either Cancel or Print slip from the Execute drop-down list, and then click Execute.