As a link resolver, Alma publishes the activation status of electronic holdings (all unsuppressed holdings) to Primo Central in an institutional holdings file, which Primo Central then uses to determine the full text availability of electronic holdings for each institution. To publish electronic holdings to Primo Central, you must configure and run a publishing profile in Alma. For more information regarding the publishing of Alma records to Primo Central, refer to the following presentation:
When working with a Network Zone, the system publishes electronic holdings from the Network Zone and each member institution at the same time and creates the following, respectively:
- One institutional holdings file for each "Available for" group that has been defined in the Network Zone. Each "Available for" group corresponds to each of the member institutions.
- One institutional holdings file from each member institution.
Each week, the system merges the above institutional holdings files into a single institutional holdings file so that it can be harvested by Primo Central.
Configuring the Publishing Profile
The publishing profile allows you to configure the settings used to generate the electronic holdings file that Primo Central uses to update the status indicators. This process should be run weekly to make sure that the holdings information is accurate.
The Electronic Profiles section in the Publish electronic records to Primo Central jobs allows you to define profiles for groups of libraries and campuses that are defined as inventory management groups in a multicampus configuration. This allows the publishing job to create additional holdings files at the campus/library level so that Primo Central can determine the full-text availability per Alma campus/library (each of which can be defined separately as a Primo institution, or all together as one Primo institution).
For more information about publishing electronic records per campus/library, see the Library-Level Publish to Google Scholar and Primo Central video (4:08 mins).
To configure the publishing profile for Primo Central publishing:
- Open the Publishing Profiles page in Alma (Resource Management > Resource Configuration > Configuration Menu > Record Export > Publishing Profiles) Publishing Profiles Page.
- In the row that contains the Publish electronic records to Primo Central profile, select Actions > Edit. The Publishing Profile Details page opens.Publishing Profile Details Page (Standard Configuration)Publishing Profile Details Page (Multicampus Configuration)
- In the Scheduling drop-down list, select one of the weekly options. If your institution works with a Network Zone, this export process must be run at the Network Zone the day before it is run at each member institution. This allows updates to the Network Zone inventory to be included in the holdings file for each member institution.
- Click Email Notifications to specify which users and email addresses will receive email notifications when the publishing profile has completed. Email Notifications for Scheduled Jobs Page
- Select the users that you want to receive email notifications.
- Click Add User. Add User Dialog Box
- In the User field, search for and select a user name.
- Select the following options to specify when the email notification will be sent to the user: Send on Success and Send on Error.
- Click Add to include additional users, click Add and Close to add the user and also close the dialog box, or click Close to exit the dialog box.
- Click Add User.
- Select the email addresses that you want to receive email notifications.
- Click Add Email Address. Add Email Address Dialog Box
- In the Email address field, enter an email address.
- Select the following options to specify when the email notification will be sent to the email address: Send on Success and Send on Error.
- Click Add to include additional email addresses, click Add and Close to add the email address and also close the dialog box, or click Close to exit the dialog box.
- Click Done to return to the Profile Details tab.
- Click Add Email Address.
- If each group of campuses/libraries in a multicampus configuration has been defined as a Primo institution, define a profile for each group of campuses and libraries. Otherwise, continue to the next step:
- Click Add Profile to open the Add Profile dialog box.
- Specify a name for campus or library in the Profile name field.
- Click Add and Close to return to the Publishing Profile Details page. Publishing Profile Details Page (Added Profile)
- Click Actions > Edit to edit the new profile. The Publishing Profile Details page for the selected profile opens. Publishing Profile Details Page (Electronic Profile Members)
- In the Add another member section, use the following fields to add members to the profile group:
- Campus – Select a campus from the drop-down list and click Add Campus.
- Library – Select a library from the drop-down list and click Add Library.
- Click Save to save the changes to the member profile.
- Click Save to save the changes to the export publishing profile.
Running and Monitoring the Export Process
Although it is recommended that you publish weekly, you can do it manually, if required.
To run the export:
- On the Resource Management Configuration page in Alma (Resource Management > Resource Configuration > Configuration Menu), click Publishing Profiles in the Record Export section.
- In the row that contains the Publish electronic records to Primo Central profile, select Actions > Run. The job is run as soon as Alma can accommodate it.
- If you want to view the results of the publishing process, in the row that contains the Publish electronic records to Primo Central profile, select Actions > History.The Monitor Jobs page opens, allowing you to filter the job history by date and type of job. For more information, see Viewing Running Jobs.
The Output of the Publishing Process
The publishing job writes the holdings information to the following file for standard configurations:
For multicampus configurations, the publishing job writes the holdings information to the following file for each group of campuses/libraries:
For more information, see Configuring Primo Central to Use the Institutional Holdings File.