To perform post-receiving processing tasks, you must have one of the following roles:
- Receiving Operator
- Purchasing Operator
After you receive physical material, it may be necessary to perform work on the material before it can be made available to the library. In addition, a work order request may require you to perform work on material before other requests can be made on it.
The following additional work may be necessary:
- Copy cataloging – Complete the cataloging of the new material
- Physical processing – Add a barcode to the material
- Temp storage – Move the material to temporary storage for a short period
- Digitization – If you are at a digitization department. For more information, see Digitization Processing.
Additional work process statuses may have been defined by your administrator; see Configuring Work Order Type Statuses. You process new material or work orders on the In Process Items page.
In Process Items Page
The In Process Items page can be accessed in any of the following ways:
- Fulfillment > Resource Requests > Manage In Process Items
- Fulfillment > Resource Requests > Scan In Items; click Manage In Process Items
- Acquisitions > Post-Receiving Processing > Receiving Department Items
- Select one of the following tasks in the Tasks List in the persistent menu:
- Items - deposit
- Items - digitization
- Items - document deliveryThe above tasks only appear when you are at a digitization department.
- Items - in department
- Items - in department - requested by patron - Patron purchase requests (see Patron Purchase Requests)These tasks only appear when you are at a department that enables you to manage in process items, other than digitization
The page is available only when you are working in a department that can manage work orders and you have the Work Order Operator privilege for that department, not from a resource sharing or out-of-the-box circulation department. If your circulation department was configured to manage work orders, you can navigate to the page only using the Manage In Process Items link on the Scan In Items page or the Receiving Department Items menu option.The filters, statuses, columns, and actions on this page vary, depending on your current department:
Step (see Digital Inventory Profile Rules):
| || |
|All other departments (for example, Acquisitions Technical Services)|| |
Process Status: The options depend on the work order type; see Work Orders and Departments
Interested Users (see interested users in Manually Creating a PO Line):
| || |
Performing Tasks and Actions
In a non-digitization department, you can perform the tasks/actions below. The availability of a task depends on the item state and your role permissions.
- Edit the inventory item (Actions > Edit Inventory Item) – This opens the Physical Item Editor. For more information, see Updating Item-Level Information.
- Add a note to an item (Actions > Edit) – See Adding a Note to an Item.
- Update an item’s expiration date (Actions > Update expiry) – See Updating an Expiration Date.
- Create a print slip (Actions > Print slip) – See Creating a Print Slip.
- Write the item's information to RFID (Actions > Write to RFID) – This option appears for locations with RFID and an active RFID connection as indicated by the connection icon ( ). For additional information, see RFID Support.
- Un-receive an item (Actions > Un-receive) – See Un-receiving an Item.
- Change an item’s status – See Changing an Item's Status.
- Generate Barcode – See Generating Barcodes.
- Remove an item from the list (by marking it as Done) when all the work processes are complete – See Marking an Item as Done and Removing It.
The tasks available in a digitization department are described in Digitizing Items and Delivery of Digitized Items.
Changing an Item's Status
To change an item’s status:
- Select the item’s check box on the In Process Items page.
- Select the new status from the Change Status drop-down list at the bottom of the page.
- Click Change Status. The item’s status is changed.
- You can change the status of multiple items simultaneously by selecting multiple check boxes and then modifying the item status, as described above.
- You can also change the status of an item on the item’s Request Management page (Actions > Edit) by selecting a different status from the Status drop-down list and clicking Save.
Automatically generating barcodes can be handled from the In Process Items page when you system is configured for automatic barcode generation. See Configuring Barcode Generation for more information.
When you automatically generate barcodes for multiple items, it needs to be done for one library at a time. As a result, when you select multiple items/rows for generating a new barcode on the In Process Items page, they all need to be from the same library. This can easily be done by using the Library filter to display a single library's list of items to be processed. If you happen to select items from different libraries, an error message appears. You will also receive an error message if you attempt to generate a barcode for one or more items that have requests or are on loan.
To generate a barcode:
- Select the check box for one or more rows on the In Process Items page to identify the items for which you want to generate barcodes.
- Click Generate Barcode.The system checks for an automatic barcode generation configuration for the library identified in the row(s) you are processing. If it does not find a library-level configuration that matches the library in the row(s) that you are processing, a pop-up box appears with institution-level configuration options from which you can select a barcode sequencing configuration option.List of Institution-Level Barcode Generation OptionsIf the system finds one or more library-level configurations that match the library in the row(s) that you are processing, a pop-up box appears with library-level and institution-level configuration options from which you can select. For the library-level options, there is a name specified in the Library column of the pop-up box.List of Library-Level and Institution-Level Barcode Generation Options
- Select the radio button for the option that you prefer and click Select. The barcode is generated and appears in the Barcode column on the In Process Items page.Library-Level Barcode Generated
Marking an Item as Done and Removing It
Marking an item as done can be handled as both a button action and a row action.
To mark an item as Done and remove it:
- Select the item’s check box on the In Process Items page.
- Click Done at the bottom of the page (or select Actions > Done in the row of the task). The item is removed from the page.
When working with Print – Continuous material and the Keep in Department option is selected on the Receive New Material page (see Receiving Physical Material), clicking Done (or selecting Actions > Done) sends a notification email to Interested Users (see information regarding the Interested Users tab in Manually Creating a PO Line).
Adding a Note to an Item
To add a note to an item:
- Select Actions > Edit for the relevant item. The Request Management page opens.
- Click the Notes tab and enter a note in the Note field.
- Click Add. The note is displayed on the page.
- Click Save. A check mark appears in the Notes column of the Department Items page, indicating that the item contains a note.
To edit a note, select Actions > Edit at the end of the note row and modify the note as required. Click Save to save your modification.
To delete a note, select Actions > Delete at the end of the note row. The note is deleted.
Updating an Expiration Date
To update an expiration date:
- Select Actions > Update expiry for the relevant item. The Update Expiration Date pop-up window appears. Update Expiration Date Pop-up Window
- Click in the Expiration date box and select the required date from the Calendar pop-up.
- Click Save. The expiration date is changed.
Creating a Print Slip
To create a print slip:
Select Actions > Print slip for the relevant item. A message is displayed on the top of the page indicating whether the print slip was sent successfully by email (see Configuring Allowed Emails). A printer must be defined for the acquisitions or receiving department for the print slip to be sent by email. For details on configuring a printer for a department, see Adding a Department.
Un-receiving an Item
To un-receive an item:
- Select Actions > Un-receive for the relevant item. A confirmation message appears.
- Click Confirm to un-receive the item.
In order to be able to un-receive an item, the following conditions must be met:
- The item must have been received
- The item must still be in the receiving department
- There are no interested users related to the item.
For more information on un-receiving an item, see the Un-Receive an Item video. (3:37 mins).
Scanning in Items
For information on scanning items, see Scanning Items.