You accept new physical material into Alma by matching the PO line with the material received. You then indicate whether further work must be performed before the material is available to the library for which it was ordered.
Physical material that is received has one of the following statuses:
- One-Time — Receipt of material for a PO line that is not repeated on a frequent or regular basis. When a PO line expects multiple items, the PO line is not fully received until all items are received. If the remaining items will not be received for some reason, remove the items from the PO line and from the inventory and then re-receive the previously received items.
- Continuous — Receipt of material for a PO line, repeated on a regular basis. The material must be connected to an existing holding and can be magazines, periodicals, and so forth. To more easily manage receiving serials, see Setting Up Prediction Patterns to Automatically Create Serial Items. For information on handling items with different receiving intervals, see the explanation for the Technical acquisition method in Acquisition Methods.
- Standing order – Receipt of material for a PO line, issued as needed on an infrequent or irregular basis. For example, a Standing Order PO line is used for purchasing all the printed books by a particular author when they are published, or where a series of books are being published, but not necessarily on a regular basis. The holdings for this type of PO line are updated upon the receipt of the material. When receiving standing order material, note the following:
- When receiving Standing Order non-monograph material, multiple items can be associated with a single holding, as they can with Continuous material.
- When receiving Standing Order monograph material, a unique workflow is invoked (see step 5 in To receive new physical material: below). The standard receiving workflow, performed on the Receive New Material page, is not invoked.
For information about these statuses, see Receiving Material.
Before receiving physical material, you must ensure that you are at the appropriate receiving department; see Switching Library Desks/Departments.
To receive new physical material:
- On the Receive New Material page (Acquisitions > Receiving and Invoicing > Receive), in the Find PO Lines for Receiving area,search for the PO line you want to receive. Receive New Material PageUse the search fields described in the following table:
Find PO Lines for Receiving Fields Field Description Status The status of the PO lines (from a list predefined by an administrator).Items with a status of In Transit retain their status until they are scanned at the target location. If the item’s location is the shelving library, the item retains its status until it is scanned at the primary circulation desk.You can received items for Closed PO lines, for example for magazine subscriptions that are fully paid but for which the last issue has not yet been received.The default value is the value of the user’s most recent search. Locate The method to use (from a list predefined by an administrator). You can select:
- Entire PO content – Find PO lines that are packaged in the same PO as the PO lines that match the search criteria
- Order lines – Find PO lines that match the search criteria (default)
Vendor The vendor from which you anticipate receiving the material.The displayed list includes only the vendors that are assigned the role of Material Supplier/Subscription Agent. Find Any specific data that you want included in the search. In The fields in which you want to search.When searching for an invoice number, select Invoice Number instead of All. Orders with patron requests Filter search results to items that have patron requests.This option appears only for one-time orders. Orders with interested users Filter search results to items that have interested users. After the search is completed, items with interested users are indicated in the table by a yellow check mark in the Interested Users column.Learn about how to add interested users to a PO line in the Interested User Enhancements video (3:58 mins). Shelf ready Whether no further work is required on the material and that it can be sent to the library. Scan item barcode Scan the barcode of an item. When clicking this, the Repository Search page appears, where you can search for an item, select it, and click Select to add it to the Scan item barcode field.This field appears only when Shelf ready is selected.If you have RFID installed and an active RFID connection as indicated by the connection icon ( ), the RFID read button appears next to the Scan item barcode box. Click the RFID read button to read the barcode from the item when it is placed on the RFID device.For more information about RFID, see RFID Support.Receive New Material Page - One-Time Tab
- Search results appear only in the tab that is selected at the time of the search.
- You can click the check marks in the Notes or Interested Users column to display the Notes or Interested Users tab for the PO line (see the Navigate to Notes During Receiving video (1:47 mins).
- PO lines that are fully received and do not require additional tasks to be performed (on the In Process Items page) are not displayed.
- There is no check box preceding the PO line numbers.
- There is no Items Received column.
- Click Actions to:
- Manage items — View details of the PO line and manage each of the PO line's items. For example, you may want to configure what happens to the items after they are received, mark an item as received, or change the permanent location of one of the items. See steps 3a or 4a, below.
- Receive — Specify items that have been received for the PO line
- Print Interested Users List — Print a list of interested users for the PO line. Appears only if the PO line has interested users (there is a check mark in the Interested Users column).
- In the Receiving Settings area:
In the Next step field, select the next step for the specified PO line after it is received. The available options are the statuses configured for the Acquisition Technical Services work order, which by default are:
- The Received date is set to the current date. If you want to change the date, click in the Received date box and select the required date from the Calendar pop-up.
- Select Keep in department to indicate that further work is required before the material can be made available in a library. When this option is selected, an Acquisition Technical Services work order is created (the default work order type), and the Next step field appears.
If Keep in department is not selected, the item must be scanned at a circulation desk before it is placed on the shelf in the library (see Scanning Items).
- Physical processing
- Copy cataloging
- Temporary storage
- If Keep in department is not selected, interested users are notified when the item is received.
- If Keep in department is selected, interested users (see information regarding the Interested Users tab in To create a PO line in Manually Creating a PO Line) receive email notification in the following scenarios:
- After the Next step selection (such as physical processing or copy cataloging) is complete and the item leaves the department.
- When selecting Actions > Done for Continuous material on the In Process Items page (see Post-Receiving Processing).
- To work with one-time order material:
For more information on these options, see Post-Receiving Processing.
- Click Manage Items to view details of a PO line (if the item has interested users, select Actions > Manage Items). The Received Items List page appears. Received Items List PageTo edit the inventory for a PO line item, click Edit Inventory Item for the appropriate PO line item. The Physical Item Editor page appears, where you edit the item details as needed and click Save. For a description of the fields on the Physical Item Editor page, see Updating Item-Level Information and the New Items Details Fields table, below. For example, you may want to edit the permanent location of one of the items. Click Back to return to the Receive New Material page.
- Select the check boxes for the PO lines you want to receive, and click Receive. (If there are any warnings on the items, a confirmation dialog box appears with the warnings; an administrator can configure the validations; see Configuring Receiving Departmental Validations. Click Confirm). A message appears at the top of the page, indicating the status of the process. Only the check boxes for the PO lines that can be received are active. All other check boxes are unavailable.If you selected Keep in department in the Receiving Settings section, a message appears at the top of the page confirming that further work must be performed before the material can be made available to the library.
- For received PO line items in handling stages, click Actions and select from the following:
- Edit inventory item
- Write to RFID For locations with RFID and an active RFID connection as indicated by the connection icon ( ), you have the additional option to Write to RFID.Received Items List Page - Write to RFIDWhen you select Actions > Write to RFID, the information is written to the RFID. For additional information, see RFID Support.
- Send to temporary storage
- Send to copy cataloging
- Send to physical processing
- Print slip – A print slip is printed on the department’s printer and sent by email to the configured user (see Configuring Allowed Emails). Notes contained in a PO line, as well as notes configured using the Receiving Slip Notification Letter configuration option (see Customizing Letter XSL Style Sheets) are sent with the print slip. An example of a print slip that is sent to the configured user is displayed in the following image:Print Slip ExampleYou must be in an acquisition or receiving department for the print slip option to be available.
- Un-receive – Revoke the received status of an item if it was mistakenly marked as received. See Receiving Material. In order to be able to un-receive an item, the following conditions must be met:
- The item must have been received
- The item must still be in the receiving department
- There are no patron or library requests related to the item
- Click Manage Items to view details of a PO line (if the item has interested users, select Actions > Manage Items). The Received Items List page appears.
- To work with continuous material:
- Select Actions > Manage Items to view details of a PO line. The Received Items List page appears. Received Items List
For information on configuring sort routines, see Configuring Physical Item Sort Routines.To edit the inventory for a PO line item, click Edit for the appropriate PO line item. The Physical Item Editor page appears, where you edit the item details as needed and click Save. For more information, see Updating Item-Level Information. Click Back to return to the Receive New Material page.To view holdings information, expand the Holdings Information section. For details on viewing holdings information, see Viewing Holdings Information below.
- If the expected receiving date of an item has passed and the item has not been received and the PO line is not already in Claim, the button Claim Missing Items appears. Click Claim Missing Items to move the PO line into Claim. The PO line moves to Claim and Claim Missing Items no longer appears.
- Click Analytics Issues Report to view a Missing Issues report of non-received items for this PO line. In the report, click Open in a new window to open the report in a new tab, Expand to open the report in Analytics to change the report parameters, or Close to close the report. Missing Issues Report
- Select Actions > Receive for a PO line to display the Receive New Items page. Receive New items PageThe Receive New Items page lists the last received item’s details and enables you to enter details for a new item, as required. All item details are listed in the Items Arrived area at the bottom of the page.You can also access the Receive New Items page by clicking Receive New Items on the Received Items List page.
- In the Receiving Settings area:
- The Received date defaults to today’s date. To change the date, click in the Received date box and select the required date from the Calendar pop-up.
- Select Keep in department to indicate that further work is required before the material can be made available in a library. When this option is selected, the Next step field appears.
- In the New Item Details area, enter cataloging details for the new item in the Enumeration and Chronology fields, as required. The following table shows sample values for the Enumeration and Chronology fields.
New Items Details Fields Field Value Enumeration A Vol.1 Enumeration B Qtr. 2 Enumeration C Part 1 Chronology I 2012 Chronology J April Chronology K 1Vol. 1 Qtr. 2 Part 1 2012 April 1
The values of the most recently received item appear in the Last Received Item Details area. Click Duplicate to automatically move these values to the respective fields in the New Item Details area.
- If no value is set for Description, the item is treated as a monograph. If a value is set for Description, the item is treated as a serial.
- Either the Enumeration A or Chronology I field must have a value.
- The values of each of the Enumeration fields appear before the values of the Chronology fields.
- To simplify the task of entering Enumeration and Chronology information, you can create a description template. For more information, see Configuring Description Templates.
- Select Create and Receive from the Go drop-down list, and click Go. If you selected Keep in department in the Receiving Settings section, a message appears at the top of the page confirming that further work must be performed before the material can be made available to the library. The new item then continues in the workflow according to your selection in the Next step drop-down list. For more information, see Post Receiving Processing.Alternatively, you can select Receive and set barcodes to set barcodes for the items that you are receiving. The Set Barcodes dialog box opens where you enter barcodes for the items and click Submit. Refer to Scanning Items or the Scan item barcode description in the Find PO Lines for Receiving Fields table above for more information about scanning barcodes.Set Barcodes Dialog Box
- Select Actions > Manage Items to view details of a PO line. The Received Items List page appears.
- To work with standing order monograph material:
- On the Choose Holding Type pop-up window (Resource Management > Create Inventory > Add Physical Item), select New in the Choose holding type field. Choose Holding Type Pop-up Window
- Select either a book or an article in the Citation type field, and click Choose. The Quick Cataloging page appears. Quick Cataloging Page
- Configure resource and item information (see Adding a New Book or Journal Article for more information), and click Save. The Repository Search page appears, displaying the newly created item in the repository.
- Click Holdings to view a list of the holdings associated with the item and select Actions > View items to view the newly created item.
- Select Actions > Edit in the Physical Item Editor. In the PO line field, select the standing order monograph PO line to link to this item.
- On the Repository Search page, click Items to view a list of the items associated with the resource. The List of Items page appears. List of Items Page
- Select Actions > Edit for the recently added item. The General Information tab of the Physical Item Editor page appears, where you can edit the item’s parameters. Physical Item Editor Page – General Information TabThe linked item displays in the Holding PO Line field. When no item is linked, this field appears as a PO line field, where you can search for one-time orders to associate with the item.For more information, see Updating Item-Level Information.
- Click in the Receiving date field and select a receiving date from the calendar drop down to mark the item as received.
- Modify any other fields, as needed, and click Save. The Received Items List page is displayed for the PO line.
- On the Choose Holding Type pop-up window (Resource Management > Create Inventory > Add Physical Item), select New in the Choose holding type field.
You can view holdings information for continuous PO lines when viewing received items on the Received Items List page. To enable viewing holdings information, ensure that the view_holding_in_receiving setting is set to true in Acquisitions configuration (see Configuring Other Settings).
Ensure that you are at an Acquisitions department; see Switching Library Desks/Departments.
To view holdings information when working with continuous material:
- On the Receive New Material page (Acquisitions > Receiving and Invoicing > Receive), click the Continuous tab. Receive New Material Page – Continuous Tab
- Locate a PO line that has a value in the Locations field, and select Actions > Manage Items. The Received Items List page appears.
- Expand the Holdings Information section. Holdings Section of Received Items List PageThe metadata information for the holdings appears in this section.
- You can click Edit Holdings to open the MD Editor page and edit the holdings (see Metadata Management).