To package PO lines, you must have one of the following roles:
- Purchasing Operator
- Purchasing Manager
Packaging PO lines is the process of creating the PO that will be sent to the vendor.
If the Manual packaging option was assigned during PO line creation (in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the PO line Summary tab – see Creating PO Lines), PO lines must be packaged manually into POs. If manual packaging was not assigned, PO lines are packaged automatically into a single PO if the PO Line - Packaging job is enabled (see Configuring the PO Line Packaging Job) and all the following properties match:
- Vendor account
- Continuity – One-time/continuous
- Acquisition method
- Source type
- Fund (if the po_packed_by_fund parameter under Acquisitions Configuration > Configuration Menu > General > Other Settings is set to true)
If the PO line is associated with more than one fund, an error is generated and the PO line must be packaged manually.
Packaging Within the Purchasing Workflow
You manage PO lines that require manual packaging on the Select PO Line page (Acquisitions > Purchase Order > Package). You can also access this page by clicking the task Order Lines - packaging in the Tasks List in the persistent menu (see Persistent UI-Elements).
Click one of the following links beneath a PO line to perform its action:
- Edit – Edit the PO line. See Editing PO Line Information
- Create new PO – Package the PO line into its own PO. The PO is sent for approval (see Approving and Sending POs).
- Order Now – Send the PO line to the vendor without waiting for approval (see Approving and Sending POs). You receive a message (Order Now Letter) after the order is sent for processing. The vendor receives the order using the Order List letter. For information on these letters, see Configuring Alma Letters.
- Defer – Defer the PO line. See Deferring PO Lines
- Relink – Relink the PO line. See Relinking PO Lines
- Change Bib Reference – Change the bibliographic reference of the PO line. See Changing Bibliographic Reference
- Cancel – Cancel the PO line. See Canceling PO Lines
- Delete – Delete the PO line. See Deleting PO Lines
To manually package PO lines into a PO:
- On the Select PO Line page (Acquisitions > Purchase Order > Package), select the check box to the left of each PO line you want to include in the PO.
- It is possible to select PO lines on different pages. The number of PO lines selected appears at the top of the page.
- PO lines can be included in the same PO if they are for the same library, have a common vendor and common currency, share the same order pattern (one-time/continuous), and share the same acquisition method and source type.
- Click Create New PO. The selected PO lines are packaged into a PO and the PO is sent for approval (see Approving and Sending POs).
To review POs you must have the following role:
- Purchasing Operator
A PO is sent for review if mandatory information is invalid or missing when the PO is created. After correcting or adding the mandatory information, the PO is packaged and moves to the Approval and Sending stage of the workflow (see Approving and Sending POs).
You review PO lines on the Orders in Review page (Acquisitions > Purchase Order > Review). You can also access this page by clicking the task Orders - review in the Tasks List in the persistent menu (see Persistent UI-Elements).
To review POs:
- On the Purchase Orders in Review page, select Edit for the PO you want to review. The PO Summary page appears. PO Summary Page
- Edit the fields on the page, as required. The required fields are marked with an asterisk and must be completed before the PO can advance to the next stage of the workflow.
- Click one of the following:
When saving a PO line, the expected receipt date of the items associated with the PO line is updated.
- Save – The PO is saved. Use this option if you are unsure if you want the PO to continue to the next stage of the purchasing workflow.
- Save and Continue – The information you modified is saved, the PO is packaged, and then proceeds to the approval and sending stage of the workflow (see Approving and Sending POs).
To view POs:
On the Purchase Orders in Review page (Acquisitions > Purchase Order > Review), select Actions > View for the PO you want to view. The PO Summary page appears. You cannot edit the fields on the page.
- On the Purchase Orders in Review page (Acquisitions > Purchase Order > Review), select Actions > Edit for the relevant PO. The PO Summary page appears.
- In the PO Line List tab, locate the Select PO line field, click the Find icon and select a PO line to be added to the PO. Note that only PO lines that are available for manual packaging appear in this list; see the Summary Tab Fields table in Manually Creating a PO Line.
- Click Add PO Line. The PO line is added to the PO.
To delete POs:
- On the Purchase Orders in Review page (Acquisitions > Purchase Order > Review), select Actions > Delete PO. The confirmation window appears.
- Click Confirm to delete the PO.
You can also delete a PO from the main menu by selecting Acquisitions > Purchase Order > Delete PO (see Deleting POs).