Skip to main content
ExLibris
  • Subscribe by RSS
  • ExLibris Dev

    BIB Subfield Punctuation Added, Then Lost

    • Article Type: General
    • Product: Aleph
    • Product Version: 18.01

    Description:
    When adding a subfield to a BIB field that is associated with an authority record with UPD = Y, puncutation is correctly added according to our tab_subfield_punctuation table, and then the field subsequently loses the punctuation.

    Example:
    In dev, authority record 900982 is for $a Elwall, Edward, $d 1676-1744
    There are 23 BIBs associated with this person as an author
    For the first 6 of them (004891157, 004891155, 003384053, 004891156, 004893476, 003385863), I added a $e to the 100

    When I made the change, the client display showed the correctly inserted comma between the $d and $e subfields, according to our tab_subfield_punctuation entry: A 100## d e , ,

    Then, as I watched (by re-browsing and viewing the results), the comma disappeared

    Each record has a CAT field with my name, then a CAT field with BATCH-UPD. I believe that the comma disappeared with the update by BATCH-UPD

    Which leads me to believe that when the record was saved, tab_subfield_punctuation was applied. And, when the BATCH-UPD, which I believe was UE_01, was performed, the tab was not applied, and so the bib field was changed back to the non-comma version of the authority record

    from tab_fix:
    INS fix_doc_sort
    INS fix_doc_sort_lkr
    INS fix_doc_tag_008_open_date
    !INS fix_doc_punctuation_usm .!?-];
    INS fix_doc_non_filing_ind
    !INS fix_doc_fixed_fields
    INS fix_doc_lng_from_bib
    INS fix_doc_zero_ldr_00_04
    INS fix_doc_own_1
    INS fix_doc_do_file_08 flint_suppress_ill
    !INS fix_doc_ref_1
    INS fix_doc_ref_1 Y
    INS expand_doc_sort

    !UE_01 fix_doc_ref_1
    UE_01 fix_doc_ref_1 Y
    UE_01 expand_doc_sort

    Hopefully, I'm just missing something, and this can be easily remedied.

    Resolution:
    You commented out all the tab_fix INS lines except for:
    INS fix_doc_ref_1 Y

    and all the UE_01 lines except for:
    UE_01 fix_doc_ref_1 Y

    And restarted ue_01 and you found that you did *not* have the punctuation problem. Is that correct?

    That's puzzling because I was assuming that fix_doc_ref_1 is what is causing this problem (that is, taking the version of the heading without the punctuation from z01 and updating the bib record with it).

    If you find that fix_doc_ref_1 isn't doing this, then all I can think of is to re-add the other fix routines until you find the one that is breaking it.

    Please also see KB's 8192-8023 and 8192-8007, if you have not already.

    [From site:
    I had a heck of a time replicating my original (bad) results, and have come to the conclusion that I had not restarted ue_01 after my initial tab change. I can now replicate the bad, and also the good! This incident can be closed.


    • Article last edited: 10/8/2013
    //doorbell.io feedback widged